Architecture Courses are almost offered by the illustrious college in India. Architecture is a discipline which includes designing a structural environment. This course is an art, a technology and a business whose area of activity is in designing any kind of structure system. Architecture courses are a series of classes that study the art and science of building. The study includes how buildings are built, designed, and planned. Applicants may explore the study of style and the ways how architecture influences social structure. Aspirants who opt for courses in architecture can develop an appreciation of minute details in everyday life. They may also find themselves becoming more organized. Both skills can help individuals to obtain promotions.
The scope of architecture courses is vast in its own term as it is varied applications even in non-related areas. There are numerous career opportunities for candidates who pursue courses in architecture. Job satisfaction brings the expression of creativity for the Architect. One of the most overriding reasons as to why a candidate should pursue architecture course is that it is such a course that will satisfy the soul of a creative person. The study of architecture needs hard work, persistence, focus and interest in creative endeavours.
Eligibility Criteria for Architect
Candidates with at least 55% marks in their 12th from science stream are eligible to apply for the course. They should also qualify any of the entrance examinations like All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) or the National Aptitude Test (NAT) in Architecture conducted by the National Institute of Advanced Studies and Architecture (NIAS).
For taking admission in PG courses in architecture candidates must hold a bachelor degree with at least 50% marks depending upon the university. Some entrance exams are also conducted by several colleges/universities. It is compulsory for the candidates to pass the entrance exams.
Admission Procedure for admission in UG and PG architecture course is the same. Most institutes follow the merit-based admission process. Merit marks scored by the scholar in National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) test and board examination are taken into consideration. Based on merit marks, seats are allotted to deserving applicants.
Programs - Architecture Courses
- Numerous program which comes under Architecture Courses is as follows.
Bachelor’s Courses in Architecture:-
The undergraduate program in architecture is of three-year that comprises of six semesters. Scholars after completing 10+2 (from science stream) with at least 50% marks are eligible to opt for this course. Few Bachelor degree program is:
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.)
- Bachelor of Architecture in Architecture and Regional Planning
- Bachelor of Architecture in Building and Construction Management
- Bachelor of Architecture in Interior Design
- Bachelor of Architecture in Landscape Architecture
- Bachelor of Engineering in Construction Technology
- B.Plan Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Science in Management and Residential Space Design
- B.Tech. (Urban & Regional Planning): Bachelor of Technology
- Bachelor of Construction Technology
Masters Courses in Architecture:-
The duration of Masters courses in architecture is of 3 years.
- Executive Master of Architecture Advanced Design
- M.Arch.(Master of Architecture)
- Master of Architecture in Advanced Design
- M.Arch. (Architectural and Settlement Conservation)
- Master of Architecture in Architectural Conservation
- Master in Architecture in Architectural Design
- Master of Architecture in Building Construction and Management
- Master of Architecture in Computer Applications
- Master in Architecture in Construction Management
- Master of Architecture in Digital Architecture
- Master in Architecture in Environmental Architecture
- Master of Architecture in Industrial Design
- Master of Architecture in Interior Design
- Master of Architecture in Landscape Architecture
- Master of Architecture (Theory & Design)
- Master of Architecture in Urban Design
- M.E. (Housing): Master of Engineering in Housing
- Master of Engineering in Landscape Architecture
- Master of Engineering in Urban Design
- Master of Philosophy in Architectural and Settlement Conservation
- Master of Science in Urban and Regional Planning
- Master of Technology in Urban Planning
- Master of Building Engineering and Management
- Master of Interior Architecture & Design
- Master of Planning (Environmental Planning)
- Master of Planning (Housing Planning)
- Master of Planning Industrial Area Planning and Management)
- Master of Planning in Infrastructure
- Master of Planning (Rural Planning and Management)
- Master of Planning in Transport Planning
- Master of Planning (Urban Planning)
- Masters in Planning
PhD Courses in Architecture:-
PhD courses hold the duration of minimum 5 years.
- PhD (Architectural Conservation): Doctor of Philosophy in Architectural Conservation
- PhD (Architecture): Doctor of Philosophy in Architecture
- PhD (Building Engineering and Management): Doctor of Philosophy in Building Engineering and Management
- PhD (Environmental Planning): Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Planning
- PhD (Housing): Doctor of Philosophy in Housing
- PhD (Industrial Design): Masters of Philosophy in Industrial Design
- PhD (Landscape Architecture): Doctor of Philosophy in Landscape Architecture
- PhD (Physical Planning): Doctor of Philosophy in Physical Planning
- PhD (Regional Planning): Doctor of Philosophy in Regional Planning
- PhD (Transport Planning
- PhD (Urban Design)
- PhD (Urban Planning)
Diploma Courses in Architecture:-
The duration of the diploma courses may vary according to the course which is opted by the aspirants. Most commonly the duration ranges from 6 months to 1 year.
- Diploma in Architectural Assistantship
- Diploma in Architecture Engineering
- Diploma in Construction Management(DCM)
- Diploma in Construction technology (DCT)
- Foundation Diploma in Architecture and Design (F.D.A.D.)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Construction Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Town - Country Planning
Apart from these, there are 3 most foremost courses which come under architecture courses are:-
- Bachelor of architecture (B.arch):
Bachelor of architecture is an undergraduate five-year course. Under this course, candidates learn about the construction of commercial buildings, highways construction, malls, complexes, and civil construction by applying their innovative ideas and analytical skills. Scholars after graduating can do freelancing in the field of architecture and also its easy to get a job after the B.Arch course.
- Candidate must possess 50% aggregate marks in 10+2 level or equivalent with Mathematics or 10th + 3 years Diploma (any stream) recognized by Central/State Governments with 50% aggregates marks.
- Candidates seeking admission to B.Arch course should have a valid NATA score obtained in National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) conducted by the Council of Architecture. Admissions will be done on Merit basis for which the merit list will be prepared based on marks obtained in qualifying examination and NATA Test.
Admission Procedure in B.Arch course:-
Some colleges/universities conduct their own entrance examination for the admission into the course, although there are colleges which intake students on the basis of merit.
Application forms must be filled within the given deadlines in offline or online mode. All the information regarding the admission is given on the college/university website, one must go through all the procedures carefully.
Job Roles for Bachelor of Architecture:-
- Manager - Architecture and Interiors
- Data Analyst - Architecture
- Architecture Draftsman
- Manager - Architecture
- Front Office/Receptionist/Admin. Assistant
- Architecture Draftsman
- Projects Assistant Manager - Architecture
- Technical Assistant - Architecture
- Architectural Assistant
- Staff Consultant
- Sales/Business Development Manager
- Interior Designer - Retail
An architect, can earn a starting salary of about Rs. 4 Lac to Rs. 5 Lacs per annum. This may increase with the experience of the aspirants in this field. Candidates having a work experience of more than 5 years they can get a salary in between Rs. 8 Lakhs to Rs. 10 Lakhs per year.
- Masters of architecture (M.arch):
Masters of architecture is a professional degree in architecture, qualifying the graduate to move through the various stages of professional accreditation that result in receiving a license. The duration of the course is 2-years. It deals with the principles of design and construction and ornamentation of fine buildings.
Candidates must hold a bachelor degree in architecture. Aspirants who are appearing for final exams of B.Arch are also eligible for this course. Eligible applicants need to acquire a minimum of 50% in the entrance examination. Several colleges require an aptitude test and an Interview for admission into the Master's Degree in Architecture.
- Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance examination, such as Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED), Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) etc.
- Also, there are numerous colleges and universities that conduct their own entrance tests for admission to the course, while some offer direct admission too.
Job Roles for Masters of Architecture:
- Landscape Architect
- Urban Designer
- Urban Planner
- Design Architect
- Project Architect
- Construction Manager
Salary package after completing Masters of architecture depends on the skills and knowledge of the aspirants. The minimum salary a postgraduate professional can earn may range in between 5 Lakhs to 8 lakhs.
- Masters of Planning (M.plan):
Masters of Planning (M.Plan) is a full-time Post-graduate course in the planning of urban sector, rural sector, environment, transport, settlements and resources. The candidate has to be a bachelor of architecture or Bachelor of Planning graduate from a recognised university to pursue Master of Planning. It is a 2-year course under architecture.
- Candidate must hold a minimum 50% marks at Higher & Senior Secondary level (10th & 12th).
- Scholars with B. Tech/ BE in Civil/ Planning/ Architecture Engineering from a recognised university with a minimum 55% aggregate marks are also eligible for admission to this course.
- Certain universities also allow scholars with a Master’s Degree in Geography/ Economics / Sociology from a recognised university with minimum 55% marks, admission to this program.
- The admission process varies from colleges to colleges. Some colleges conduct entrance exams on their own. After this Personal Interview and screening of the applicants, rounds are conducted for admission in this course.
- Although there are various colleges which intake students on the basis of merit.
Job Roles for Masters of Planning:
- Town Planner Executive
- Urban Planner Executive
- Transport Planner Executive
- Transport Planner Executive
- GIS Expert
A fresh post graduate with no experience is likely to get an entry-level salary between Rs 2.5 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs per annum. An individual holding prior work experience is likely to get a higher salary package after the experience of 5 years or more.
Prominent colleges for Pursuing Architecture Course:
- School Of Planning And Architecture, Delhi
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
- Sir J. J. College Of Architecture, Mumbai
- Birla Institute Of Technology, Mesra
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Chandigarh College Of Architecture, Chandigarh
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi
- National Institute Of Technology, Tiruchirapalli
- Center for Environmental Planning and Technology University, Ahmedabad
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
Architecture Course Career Prospects in India
Architects have the freedom to choose different career paths. Suitable architecture jobs can be acquired in Government firms and developing agencies like Public Works Department (PWD), Department of Railways, Post and Telegraph, National Building Organization, Town and Country Planning Corporation, National Institutes of Urban Affairs, Housing and Urban Development Corporations. Others aspirants may get opportunities in architecture and building development firms or private construction organizations. As demand for commercial space increases, strong growth is expected from non-residential construction. In past years, architecture firms have outsourced the drafting of construction documents and basic design for large-scale commercial and residential projects to architecture firms overseas.
Some Job Types are:-
- Architectural Technician
- Architectural Theoretician
- Architectural Conservator
- Architectural Engineer
- Architectural Technologist
- Architecture Professor
- Architecture Critic
- Architecture Photographer
- Building Control Officer
- Building Inspector
Few types of Architecture are:-
- Green Architecture
- landscape architecture
- Museum Architecture
- Naval Architecture
- Theatre Architecture
Some of its specialized fields are:
- Production drawing
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Contact administration
- Model making
- Information technology
- Real Estate / Property development
- Historic preservation
- Architectural Journalism
Top Recruiters for Architecture Applicants:
- Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj
- Manchanda Associates
- Architect Consultants
- VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
- Edifice Architects Pvt.Ltd.
- Chitra Vishwanath Architects
- Sahara Group
Starting salary for an architecture professional could be between 2 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs per annum (approx). After 5 Years of work experience, a professional can expect a higher salary in the range of Rs 5 Lakhs to 10 Lakhs per annum (approx).