MCA Course Details - Eligibility, Fee, Duration, Colleges & Placements
MCA or Masters of Computer Applications is a three year professional postgraduate Course in Computer Science and Application.
- The course is basically designed to cater students with a solid theoretical knowledge about Computer Application as well as with the practical knowledge of the Application through its course subjects and syllabus.
The programme is apt towards the Application Development and thus has more focus on the latest programming language and tools to develop better and faster applications.
- The MCA Course emphasizes the application of software technology to solve mathematical, computing, communications/networking, and commercial problems.
- This course mainly aims to convene the demand of qualified professionals in Information and Technology (IT) field.
- The duration of MCA Course is three academic years which is divided into six semesters.
- It is a postgraduate course that can be pursued after completing a Bachelor's Degree.
- It comprises of various aspects of computational theory, programming, algorithm design and optimization, network and database management, mobile technologies, electronics, mathematics, probability, statistics, accounting, finance, etc.
- This course is a Computer Science Degree whose curriculum is generally based on the development of application software in various fields.
⇒ The first year of this course focuses on the skill developments in computers.
⇒ The second year is aimed for providing a conceptual framework and
⇒ the third year offers the specializations and project work.
- In India, there are numerous Colleges and Universities offering MCA Course.
- MCA courses aim at understanding the fundamentals of computing among the students so that they can compete in the present-day global situation.
- This course focuses on imparting comprehensive knowledge to the students with an equal emphasis on theory and practice part.
- The MCA graduate students are paid high salary and given better job opportunities as compared to other fields of study.
- Through this course, the IT sector is enhancing the demand for computer science engineers more than ever.
The course consists of two streams-
- to computer education;
- The major emphasis of this degree is on designing information systems for various organisations across discrete sectors including banking, insurance, hospitality, hospitals etc.
The MCA course graduate students can work in an IT field in the following profiles-
- Software Engineer
- Testing Engineer
- System Analyst
- Technical Support Engineer
- Systems designers
- Programmers and Managers
- There is a high demand for skilled computer developers and programming language experts in the Industry.
The students who want to pursue MCA course after completion of their Bachelor’s degree have to go through this eligibility criteria. Then, only the students will be applied for this course. The eligibility criteria for MCA Course is as follows:
- Age- There is no permitted minimum and maximum age limit for the students who want to pursue MCA Course.
- The applicants must have completed a bachelor's degree in Computer Applications, Computer Science or Information Technology.
- The aspirant must have studied Mathematics in 10+2 or graduation level as a compulsory subject.
- The students who have done their graduation in any stream like Science, Commerce, Arts, Engineering, BCA from any recognized university are eligible to apply for this course.
The Eligibility for qualifying marks in graduation requires:
- For Unreserved students- 50% aggregate.
- For Reserved/SC/ST students- 45 % aggregate.
Nationality- The aspirants must be Indian Nationals. The Foreign Nationals/Non-Resident Indians/Indian nationals may or may not be eligible to apply under the Foreign/NRI Category.
NOTE: The above-mentioned eligibility criteria might differ from institute to institute.
The students can take admission in MCA Course either by entrance examination or merit-based.
- Some of the Universities offer direct admissions and entrance examination whereas the reputed universities require candidates to give All India basis examination to take admission in MCA Course.
- The students can check the details of the course and application forms through the University website or by visiting the Admission cell of the university.
- Generally, the entrance examination for MCA course is based on Mathematics and reasoning. Every entrance test has different exam pattern.
Here is the list of Entrance Examinations for MCA Course -
- National Institute of Technology Common Entrance Test- NIMCET 2019
- Maharashtra Common Entrance Test- MAH MCA CET 2019
- Vellore Institute of Technology MCA Entrance Exam- VITMEE 2019
- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test- IPU CET 2019
- Telangana State Integrated Common Entrance Test- TS ICET 2019
- Andhra Pradesh Integrated Common Entrance Test- AP ICET 2019
- Odisha Joint Entrance Exam- OJEE 2019
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology- IIST 2019
Specialisations in MCA -
There are many fields in MCA in which a student can specialize in the last year/semester of his 3 year course.
- The students can choose any specialization according to their interest -
- Application Software
- Hardware Technology
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Systems Management
- Systems Engineering
- Software Development
- System Development
MCA Course Syllabus-
The All India Council Of Technical Education (AICTE) suggests the MCA curriculum be amended once in every three years. The basic curriculum of MCA Course covers the following topics (as suggested by AICTE) of MCA programme in six semesters:
|SEMESTER||SUBJECTS TO STUDY|
|1.Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science|
|2. Computer and ‘C’ Programming|
|3.Paradigms of Programming|
|4.UNIX & Shell Programming|
|5.Computer Organisation and Architecture|
|6.Accounting and Financial Management|
|Unix /Linux & Shell Programming Lab|
|1.Organizational Structure and Personnel Management|
|2.Data and File Structure Using ‘C|
|3.Object-Oriented Systems in C++|
|4.Computer-Based Numerical & Statistical Techniques|
|5.Combinatory & Graph Theory|
|6.Computer Architecture & Microprocessor|
|Data Structure Lab|
|1.Design & Analysis of Algorithm|
|4.Data Base Management System|
|5.Internet & JAVA Programming|
|2.Modelling and Simulation|
|Elective I (any one of the following)|
|5.Foundation of e-Commerce|
|6.Computer Graphics & Animation|
|Software Engineering Lab|
|Computer Graphics Lab|
|Visual Basic Lab|
|2. Elective II (any one of the following)|
|3. Net FrameWork & C|
|4. ERP SYstem|
|5. Elective III (any of the following)|
|6. Management Information System|
|Web Technology Lab|
|Net FrameWork & C Lab|
REPUTED COLLEGES/UNIVERSITIES FOR MCA COURSE-
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- VIT University, Vellore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology (BITS), Ranchi
SKILLS REQUIRED BY MCA GRADUATES-
If a candidate wants to be a good programmer, then it is necessary for him to have a good command in programming languages such as C, C++, Jav,.Net, ASP.NET, etc.
- If a candidate is interested in Networking field, then he has to be skilled in SQL, LINUX, etc.
- During the course also, the interested candidates can get certification in CCNA, CCNP, CCIE to earn a reputed position in the company.
CAREER PROSPECTS FOR MCA GRADUATES:
- The demand for MCA graduates is increasing day by day in the IT Industry not only in India but also in abroad countries.
- The candidates having an MCA degree may have great employment opportunities in top IT companies and top consultancy firms in the age of computers.
- There are a lot of lucrative job opportunities for MCA graduates in various areas such as banking, networking, IT companies, desktop publishing, etc.
- After the completion of the course, the student can find a job in reputed IT companies like Infosys, Wipro, TCS, Cognizant, IBM, NTPC, GAIL, BHEL, Accenture, etc.
- The MCA qualified students can get jobs easily in both government and private sectors.
Here are some job profiles for which the MCA graduates can get into-
- App Developer
- Business Analyst
- Database Engineer
- Ethical Hacker
- Graphic Designer
- Hardware Engineer
- Manual Tester
- Mobile Developer
- Network Engineer
- Project Manager
- Quality Analyst
- Software Programmer/ Engineer/Developer/Application Architect
- Systems Analyst
- Software Consultant
- Social Media Handler
- Technical writer
- Web designer
- Web developer
- In India, the salary package of an MCA graduate in reputed companies like TCS, Infosys offers an average package of around 3.5L P.A to 4.5L P.A.
- Some product based companies like Symantec or Nvidia usually offer around 5L P.A to 7L P.A to an MCA degree candidate.
- The candidates with good skills in C++ and Java/J2EE get high salary packages in this field ranging from 7L P.A and above.
- After acquiring the sufficient experience in IT field one can easily get a handsome salary package.