Medical Courses: There is a wide range of medical courses in India for the 12th and graduate passed students. This includes Certificate Course, Medical Diploma Course, Bachelor Degree Course, Medical Technical Course, and many Short Time Knowledge Booster Medical Courses. Demands for medical courses in today's era are increasing and growing rapidly. Humans are facing a 24x7 medical requirement. In the medical field, career prospects depend on your level of education. Whether you have a diploma or a bachelor's or master's degree, you are in the race for a good career. After the completion of the medical course, you can start a career in any reputed organization or industry or hospital.
The medical profession is one of the reputed and respected professionals in the medical discipline in India as well as Abroad. To start higher education in the medical field after 10+2, students are required to study Biology, Chemistry, and Physics in class 12th. In this post, we have prepared a list of medical courses in India for aspirants in order of popularity along with their duration. The eligibility criteria may vary based on the type of institution as private colleges usually have a higher fee as compared to government institutions. Here we have given only general information about the best medical courses in India.
Eligibility for Medical Courses:
For Diploma and certification Medical Courses:
- There are no fixed eligibility criteria for Diploma and certification medical courses. But students should have passed at least 10th/12th from a recognized board.
For Undergraduate Medical Courses:
- Candidates who want to pursue a UG course in the medical stream must have completed 10+2 with biology subjects.
- They must have secured a minimum of 50% marks at the 12th level.
- Students should have appeared in the national/state level medical entrance exam.
For Postgraduate Medical Courses:
- Candidates who want to pursue a master’s degree in the medical stream must have a bachelor’s degree in the same discipline.
- They must have secured a minimum of 50% marks at the graduate level.
- Aspirants should have appeared in the national/state level medical entrance exam.
Entrance Exams for the Medical Courses 2022:
List of the Undergraduate Medical Entrance Tests:
- NEET UG: National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Undergraduate (NEET UG)
- AIIMS MBBS: All India Institute of Medical Sciences MBBS entrance exam
- JIPMER MBBS: Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research MBBS exam
List of the Postgraduate Medical Entrance Tests
- NEET PG: National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Postgraduate (NEET PG)
- AIIMS PG: All India Institute of Medical Sciences PG Exam
- JIPMER PG: Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research MBBS exam
- NEET MDS: National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, Master of Dental Surgery
- PGIMER: Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research Entrance Exam
- FMGE: Foreign Medical Graduates Examination
Top 10 Medical Colleges in India 2022:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry
- Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai
- King George's Medical University, Lucknow
- Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha
- BMCRI- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Lovely Professional University, Punjab
Different types of Medical courses:
One of the industries that are still thriving in India is the healthcare industry. Despite its rapid development, this industry is poised to become a hub for lucrative employment opportunities and a promising career. Students who take medical courses in India can get good salaries and career opportunities.
Undergraduate Medical Courses:
- Here we highlight the list of medical courses (UG course). We hope that the below information will help you in choosing the best course for your bright future:
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Science (MBBS)
- MBBS is one of the best medical courses amongst undergraduate degrees. The duration of this medical course is five and a half years. During this session, students study anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pathology, etc
- To become a doctor in the future, it is mandatory to do an MBBS Course. The syllabus is covered in four years of course and internship is included in the rest year.
Bachelor in Dental Surgery (BDS)
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) is an undergraduate course. The course focuses on diagnosing oral health problems. Through the BDS program, students are taught about problems and surgeries related to dentistry.
- The duration of this BDS Course is for 5 years with a compulsory rotating internship program.
Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS)
- BHMS is the most popular undergraduate medical degree. The duration of the BHMS Course is five years. During the time period of this program, scholars obtain knowledge in the medical field of homeopathy.
- As they finished this course, degree holders are allowed to practice in the homeopathic field as a doctor.
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)
- BAMS is a bachelor's degree program in the Ayurvedic discipline. Through this course, students learn about the ancient method of curing diseases that is Ayurveda.
- It comes in the list of the best medical course that concentrates on enhancing the natural healing system of the human body.
- The time duration of this course is 5 years and 6 months. The course is split into three parts with 1.5 years duration each. One-and-a-half years of an internship is compulsory.
Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery (BUMS)
- BUMS is an undergraduate course with five and a half years duration which includes 4.5 years of the theoretical learning program and 1 year of practical usage through an internship.
- The course strengthens students with proper knowledge of Unani medicine & surgery and exposure to apply the uses of Unani in the real world.
Bachelor of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry (BV Sc. & A.H)
- BV Sc. & A.H is one of the best undergraduate programs. It deals with the treatment of diseases and illnesses in animals and birds.
- The duration of the aforementioned medical course is from 4.5 years to 5 years.
- For opting in BV Sc. & A.H course, students should have a valid score in the All India Pre-Veterinary Test (AIPVT) Entrance Examination.
Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm)
- B. Pharm is the most sought-after and job-oriented undergraduate course in which aspiring students gain knowledge in the art of mixing chemicals and drugs for medical purposes.
- For pursuing B. Pharma Course, one should have studied physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics at 12th level and should have at least 50% marks in all subjects.
- Applicants need to crack the medical entrance exams which are conducted on the university level, state level, and national level.
Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy is an undergraduate degree. The time duration of the BPT course is four years including compulsory Six months of clinical internship.
- For pursuing this course, students candidates should have finished the 10+2 examinations from a known educational Board. BPT course is offered in India at an average fee ranging between INR 1 and 5 Lacs, it may vary across institutes.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Medical Laboratory Technology)
- B. Sc. in Medical Laboratory Technology is a bachelor's degree in the Medical Lab Technology program. The Medical Laboratory Technology discipline is also called Clinical laboratory science.
- During the course, students are trained with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease through the use of clinical laboratory tests.
- All these tests assist pupils to learn and diagnose, detect and treat diseases.
Post Basic Bachelor of Science (P.B) (B.Sc) (Nursing)
- P.B B.Sc. is a two years undergraduate course that can be opted by candidates in the Nursing discipline.
- Nurses are healthcare professionals. They are trained in taking care of patients, treating them, and assisting doctors in treatment and surgery.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Operation Theatre Technology)
- B. Sc. in Operation Theatre Technology is a three years undergraduate course.
- For opting for this course, the minimum eligibility is the 12th class with Science Subject from a recognized educational board.
- Aspiring students can take admission in B.Sc. in Operation Theatre Technology course based on the rank in a relevant entrance exam.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Medical Imaging Technology)
- B. Sc. in Medical Imaging Technology is a bachelor’s degree course with a duration of three years which is divided into six semesters. Each semester is a period of six months.
- The course covers the topics relevant to the techniques and processes employed in creating images of human body parts for clinical purposes or in medical science.
Bachelor in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (BASLP)
- Bachelor in Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology is a four years undergraduate, professional course.
- The course is designed for eligible candidates having passed the Higher Senior Secondary (10+2) examination in the Science stream, from a recognized educational Board.
- The course covers all topics relevant to techniques and methods used in diagnosing and treating hearing, speech, and balance-related disorders in people
Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT)
- Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology or BMLT is an undergraduate course with 3 years long duration.
- The course is designed to equip candidates with advanced learning in both routine and sophisticated laboratory diagnostic procedures.
- Aspirants should have qualified for the Senior Secondary Certificate (class 12th) Examination in the Science stream, with minimum aggregate marks of 50% (45% for SC/ST candidates) or equivalent CGPA.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (BOT)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (BOT) is a job-oriented undergraduate program.
- This medical course is the study of Occupational Therapy.
- The duration of the BOT course is four and a half years, leading to a Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Hons.) (Physiology)
- B.Sc. Hons. in Physiology is a three years bachelor’s degree in disciplines of Physiology and life sciences.
- Candidates should meet the minimum eligibility criteria as they must have secured at least 50% marks at 10+2 or equivalent level.
- Graduation degree holders with a Physiology background are employed in a range of professions such as aa Biomedical science, Clinical research science, Exercise physiology, Healthcare science, etc.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Perfusion Technology)
- B.Sc in Perfusion Technology is an undergraduate level Bachelor’s Degree course with 3 years long duration.
- This course is specially designed for those who want to build a pleasant career in the healthcare sector.
- The aforementioned course consists of a unique blend of practical training and classroom lectures.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Industrial Microbiology)
- B. Sc. in Industrial Microbiology is a two years regular classroom course which is divided into 4 semesters. Each semester is lasting for a period of 6 months.
- Biotechnology and Industrial Microbiology Biotechnology are an intricately related field.
- This multidisciplinary science often requires students to grab additional expertise in subjects such as Molecular Biochemistry, Bio-Engineering, and Biology.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Renal Dialysis Technology)
- Bachelor of Science in Renal Dialysis Technology is an undergraduate professional degree in engineering with three years long duration.
- 12th passed students are eligible to apply for the aforementioned course. The course is designed to strengthen students to administer hemodialysis treatments for patients with renal failure, under the supervision of a nurse or physician. After completion of the course, graduates will get lucrative job opportunities.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Respiratory Therapy)
- B. Sc. in Respiratory Therapy discipline is a 3 years bachelor’s degree program in the engineering field.
- For pursuing this course, candidates should have passed HSC or 10+2 (Medical) or equivalent as a minimum eligibility criterion for the course.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Pathology)
- B.Sc. Pathology is a full-time undergraduate program and the minimum eligibility to seek admission to this course is 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as compulsory subjects.
- Admission to B.Sc in Pathology course will be granted based on candidate’s performance in Class 12th examination i.e. Merit in Class 12 examination.
- The career options of the B.Sc Pathology course include a job in areas such as Agriculture, Public Health, Law Enforcement, Drug Manufacturing, Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies, and Colleges/ Universities.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Imaging Technology Radiography)
- B. Sc. in Imaging Technology Radiography is a three years long duration undergraduate course.
- The course is designed to familiarize aspiring students with the use of a variety of advanced technology employed in medical imaging and cancer treatment.
- The basic requirement to apply for the course is a 10+2 from a recognized educational Board.
- Successful degree holders are hired at both private and government hospitals and health care centers, at an average initial annual salary.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) (Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology)
- B. Sc. in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology is a full-time undergraduate course with a three years long time period which is divided into 6 semesters.
- In Audiology and Speech-language profession, pathologists are responsible for the assessment and treatment of a broad range of speech, cognitive-communication impairments voice, language, and swallowing.
Postgraduate Medical Courses:
Below you will get a list of medical courses with detailed information:
Master of Surgery (MS)
- Master of Surgery (M.S) is a postgraduate degree in the medical field. The duration of the M.S program is 3 years which is divided into 6 semesters.
- Those students who have successfully done five and a half years of MBBS are eligible to pursue further this degree.
- For opting in this course, students must have secured a valid rank in their medical entrance exams.
- There are several medical colleges in India that reserve 50% admissions for the underprivileged or for those candidates who belong to the backward classes
Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D) is a postgraduate program. Candidates can pursue this course after completion of the MBBS course.
- When you pursue this course, you will start acquiring a better understanding and knowledge with hands-on experience in the field of your interest from the second week of your studying.
Master’s in Physiotherapy (MPT)
- Master’s in Physiotherapy is a two years PG degree.
- The MPT curriculum is done using a variety of teaching/ learning techniques, including assignments, hands-on training, internship, case discussions, lectures, practical exercises, journal clubs, collaborative learning, lab work, field visits, seminars, group discussions, and dissertation.
- This program follows the semester system. Admission is granted based on the rank of an Entrance Examination which is conducted either on any of State, university, and national levels.
Certification Medical Courses:
Below you will grab information about certification courses. For ease of students, we provide you with a list of medical courses:
Certificate Course in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT):
- CCMLT is a certification course of Six months-long duration in the medical laboratory discipline.
- Candidates who have passed JSC exams with 65% marks from a reputed educational board are eligible to pursue this course.
- Several colleges in India offer this certification course at reasonable fees.
- Students will be admitted based on the marks obtained from the higher secondary marks and entrance exam results.
Certificate in Laboratory Techniques (CPLT):
- Certificate Course in laboratory techniques (CPLT) is a diploma-level course in the laboratory and its related management techniques disciplines.
- Those candidates who have passed the 12th examination are eligible to pursue this certification course.
- Certificate in Laboratory Techniques is an introductory level course in the program domain that aims to provide basic knowledge and skills about the laboratory setup and its operation to the students.
Certificate Course in Physiotherapy:
- Certificate Course in Physiotherapy (CCP) is a medical/paramedical course. It is a two years long duration course.
- For opting for this course, students must have cleared 10+2 in the science stream from a recognized institute.
- This course imparts knowledge related to physical medicine and rehabilitation. The course focus on such topics as physiological, physical health, social well-being, and emotional. It is one of the growing sectors of health care.
- In addition to theoretical studies, practical sessions are also included in the Certificate Course in Physiotherapy.
Diploma of Medical Courses:
Below the list of medical courses will help you in deciding the best medical course according to your interest and eligibility criteria:
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT)
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology is a two years diploma course. It can be pursued after the successful completion of the 10+2 level of education. This medical course gives more focus on advanced professional learning in:
Diploma in Physiotherapy (DPT)
- Diploma in Physiotherapy (D.P.T) is a professional diploma course in the medical nursing discipline.
- After successful completion of the 10+2 level of education in the Science stream from a recognized educational Board are eligible to pursue.
- Most of the reputed colleges offer diploma courses at the average tuition fees ranges between INR 10,000 and 5 Lacs for a span of 4 years.
Diploma in Medical Radio Diagnosis (DMRD)
- Diploma in Medical Radio-Diagnosis (DMRD) is a two years diploma course that can be pursued after graduation by medical aspirants.
- During the curriculum, aspirants grab in-depth knowledge of Radiology which is a division of medicine. Radiology is an imaging technique such as X-rays, MRI, and CT scans.
- These types of tests are done to diagnose a patient for the treatment of the disease. It is a specialty of the medical field and is growing rapidly.
Diploma in Clinical Pathology (DCP)
- Diploma in Clinical Pathology is a 2 years professional diploma course. Bachelor's degree holders from recognized institutes and colleges are eligible to pursue this course.
- Admission to the DCP course is granted based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam, and the result status of counseling.
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology (DOTT)
- Diploma in Operation Theater Technology (DOTT) is a two-year academic diploma program.
- The course is designed to introduce students to the operation theatre with fundamental issues of discipline ethics layout and equipment.
Other diploma courses are below:
- Diploma in Anaesthesia (DA)
- Diploma in Otorhinolaryngology (DLO)
- Diploma in Dialysis Techniques
- Diploma in Nursing
- Diploma in X-Ray Technology
- Diploma in Radiology Therapy (DMRT)
- Diploma in Occupational Therapy
- Diploma in Radiography
Career and Job Scope:
There are many industries, organizations, pharmacology, hospitals, research laboratories, and other related industries in India and abroad. For medical degree holders to recruit in a reputed position. Here we have given some of the major employers (recruitment in the medical field) in the field of health care as the following:
- Cochlear Limited
- Health scope
- Hexal Australia
- NIB Holdings
- Prima Biomed
- Sigma Pharmaceutical
- Australian Pharmaceutical Industries
- Biota Holdings Limited
- CSL Limited
Salary Packages After Medical Courses:
- In India and abroad, the medical sector is one of the most salaried areas. In today's time, the demand for skilled and educated medical candidates is increasing in America.
- This course offers a wide range of good salaries to the Employees in the medical field, being a large pool of different courses.
- If you have finished MD or MS degree then you will get 500000 to 1000000 per annum.
- If you are graduated in the medical field then you can earn 100000 to 300000 per annum.
- If you possess the technician, nursing, or assistance course, you can get the 50000 to 100000 per annum at the entry-level position.