M.A Course: Masters of Arts (MA) is a postgraduate degree that is studied after a bachelor of Arts (BA). MA is a 2-year degree program divided into 4 semesters that can be done in subjects like English, Hindi, and any regional or foreign language. MA applicants often need to complete research on a subject and present a thesis of paper prior to completion of their degree. Additionally, one can pursue a Ph.D. program after the successful completion of the Master of Arts.
There are 4 or 5 Papers that one has to pass in order to acquire an MA. This master's degree program in Arts involves lectures, examinations, and seminars. For candidates who are seeking endless information on the subject chosen in MA can continue their education and research by doing a Ph.D. Even after an MA degree, the postgraduate student can find work as a teacher or professor in various schools, colleges, and universities across India and abroad.
M.A Course can be completed by considering any one of the following as a specialization:
Reason to Choose a Masters of Arts (MA) Course:
- A Master of Arts relies majorly on scholars and teacher interaction, mentorship, and collaboration. There is huge freedom of credit selection and the choice spans over several universities/colleges.
- MA helps scholars to have a better understanding of the subject and encourages critical thinking.
- An MA degree enhances applicants' powers of inquiry, logical thinking, and critical analysis.
- As it is mastered, the earnings will be comparatively higher and the career growth is very good.
Who Should Opt for MA Course:
Those who wish to study MA Courses must be dedicated and focused on their subject. They should have the vigor, willpower, and strength to study for long hours and get in-depth information about their course. MA is a theoretical as well as practical field and hence students must have sound mental and physical abilities.
Applicants must be hardworking and willing to put in long hours of study. They must be keenly and deeply interested in the subject and should have excellent communication skills to relay their knowledge to their peers, professors, teachers, and subordinates. They should have good interpersonal skills to present their topic or subject in a nice and effective manner.
Master of Arts (M.A) Course Eligibility Criteria:
- A BA degree is not a mandatory criterion for applying to MA. Applicants with an undergraduate degree can apply for the same.
- The minimum aggregate marks which are required to take admission in a Master of Arts course is 50%.
- There are some entrance exams conducted by the colleges or universities for getting admission to MA. Then candidates have to go through a personal interview round.
- After clearing all these criteria successfully, the candidate can get admission to the respective university/college.
M.A Course Admission Procedure:
- Most of the institutes shortlisted aspirants for the course depending on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some colleges conduct their own entrance tests for the admission of deserving applicants.
- The admission process will differ from college to college. Few institutions in the country also offer admission on the basis of the candidate’s merit scores at the level of graduation.
A few of such Entrance Exams are:
- Punjab University Common Entrance Test (PU-CET)
- Sri Venkateswara University Admission Exam (SVUAE)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University Entrance Test (IGNOU)
- Alagappa University Entrance Exam
- Netaji Subhas Open University Entrance Exam (NSOU)
- Periyar University Entrance Test (PU)
- Mumbai University Entrance Exam (MU)
- Nalanda Open University Admission Exam (NOU)
- Madras University Admission Test (MU)
M.A Course - Syllabus and Subjects:
- Philosophical Foundations of Education -I
- Psychological Foundations of Education -I
- Sociological Foundations of Education-I
- The methodology of Educational Research &Educational Statistics
- Information and Communication Technology in Education
- Philosophical Foundations of Education –II
- Psychological Foundations of Education -II
- Sociological Foundations of Education-II
- The methodology of Educational Research &Educational Statistics –II
- Educational Data Analysis through Statistical packages
- Course XI (Edn/PG/3.1) - Comparative Education - I
- Course XII (Edn/PG/3.2) – Curriculum Studies-I
- Special Papers
- Dissertation/ Special Paper
- Comparative Education – II
- Curriculum Studies-II
- Special Papers
- Dissertation/ Special Paper
List of Special Papers to be selected anyone (two courses) of the following: (As may be offered by the Department of Education from time to time)
- Course-i: Educational Technology –I
- Course-ii: Educational Technology-II
- Course-i: Teacher Education –I
- Course-ii: Teacher Education –II
Education of the children with special needs:
- Course-i: Education of the children with special needs-I
- Course-ii Education of the children with special needs-I
Educational Measurement and Evaluation:
- Course-i: Educational Measurement and Evaluation –I
- Course-ii: Educational Measurement and Evaluation-II
Top Colleges for MA Course:
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Mehr Chand Mahajan Dayanand Anglo Vedic College, Chandigarh
- Mithibai College of Arts, Mumbai
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Hans Raj College, Delhi University, Delhi
- Stella Maris College, Chennai
- Indraprastha College for Women, Delhi
Career Prospects for MA Course:
Successful postgraduates of the MA course can opt for numerous lucrative career prospects after completion of this course. They can possess a higher position in subjects like History, Philosophy, Languages, Economy, Archaeology, Public relations, Education, Psychology, Physiology, Journalism, or many others. Aspirants can avail employment opportunities in various educational institutes as teachers where they will have to teach their particular subject to various students in a class.
Candidates can also apply to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as foreign exchange leaders. This is for those who have done an MA in foreign languages as it is in great demand in embassies across the world. Master of Arts postgraduates can also work for management consultancies if they have completed their MA in Business, Accounts, or Management fields. Another option is to become a freelance content writer where one can write about the topic for various websites, forums, or blogs.
Employment Areas for M.A Course:
- Business Houses
- Educational Institutes
- Foreign Affairs
- Industrial Houses
- Law Firms
- News Media
- Public Works
Job Types for MA Professionals:
- Administrative Officer
- Business Consultants
- Human Resource Managers
- labor-management Relations Specialist
- Social Worker
- Research and Development Managers
- VIBGYOR High
- International Justice Mission
- Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC)
- Ernst & Young (EY)
- Wipro Technologies Ltd.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- American Express Co. (AMEX)
- The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.
After the successful completion of the MA course, the professionals can earn starting salary ranging between Rs. 5 to Rs. 10 lakhs annually (approx). Salary aspects also depend on the aspirant's skills and knowledge and on the reputation of the organization.