List of Dental Courses: Dental Courses help students to become a dentist. These courses are offered by 300+ dental colleges in India. Aspirants can opt for the dental course after finishing 10+2 or intermediate exams with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English subjects. BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) is the most valuable course for the 12th passed students which are chosen by aspirants of dental course. After completing BDS, they can go for further studies such as M.D.S (Master of Dental Surgery). The duration of the dental course is up to 5 years, including internships. The dental program can be pursued either in full-time mode or in part-time mode through correspondence.
The average tuition fees for dental courses range from Rs 50,000 to Rs 12 Lacs. Aspirants have to appear for the entrance exam before admission to dental courses. AIPMT and NEET are the most popular entrance exam for UG and PG dental courses. The demand for dental surgery graduates is increasing day by day in India as well as abroad. After finishing the course, students start their career in any one of the fields such as research institutes, private practice, dental product manufacturers, dental clinics, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, educational institutes, and dental equipment manufacturers. They can also start their own business.
Objectives of Dentistry Courses:
- To develop a perfect knowledge of dentistry.
- To develop high standards of practice and become a source of inspiration for others.
- To provide world-class facilities and the latest know-how in dentistry.
Skill Required for dentist courses after 12th:
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Physical stamina
- Problem-solving skills
Eligibility Criteria for Dental Course 2022:
➥ For UG Courses:
- Aspirants who have passed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, with at least 50% marks are eligible for admission in the UG course in dental science. BDS Course (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) is a UG course.
- To get admission in an undergraduate level dental course, must appear for the National Level Dental Entrance Examination.
- All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Exam (AIPMT) is common for both the MBBS and the Bachelor of Dental Sciences (BDS).
- There is no specialization at the graduate level in dental science. To start a career as a dentist, one should have a bachelor's degree in dental science.
➥ For PG Courses:
- If any candidate wants to pursue a PG course in dental science then they should have a bachelor's degree in data science.
- They should have secured at least 50% marks at the graduate level.
- Candidates should have a valid mark in the national-level medical entrance exam for MDS. NEET MDS is one of the most popular exams.
➥ For Doctoral Course:
- Candidates who have a Master’s degree in Dental Sciences or an equivalent degree from a recognized university are eligible for Ph.D. in Dental Science courses.
- Candidates should have 50% of marks or 6 GPA point scale in a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree.
- Note that percentage may differ from one college to another.
- Suitable applicants may apply for this program through online or offline mode
Admission Procedure for Dental Courses:
- Firstly, candidates are required to pass an entrance to secure their place for a particular course. The most common exams are AICET BDS, NEET, MU OET, DUMET, AIPMT, and COMEDK, etc.
- Admission will be granted based on a merit list or an entrance-based.
- There are several universities/colleges which go for a counseling process for selection. But to be eligible for practice, one must ensure that the course chosen is certified by the Dental Council of India.
List of Dental Programs:
- Bachelor Degree Course
- B.D.S. Bachelor of Dental Surgery (4-5 years)
- Fellowship Course
- Fellowship in Aesthetic Dentistry (FAD) (1 year)
- Fellowship in Cosmetic Dentistry (6 Months)
- Fellowship in Implantology (1 year)
- Fellowship in Dental Implantology (1 year)
➥ Master Degree Course (3 Years)
- M.D.S Master of Dental Surgery
- M.D.S. (Community Dentistry) Master of Dental Surgery in Community Dentistry
- M.D.S. (Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics) Master of Dental Surgery in Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
- M.D.S. (Conservative Dentistry) Master of Dental Surgery in Conservative Dentistry
- M.D.S. (Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology) Master of Dental Surgery in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- M.D.S. (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery) Master of Dental Surgery in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- M.D.S. (Oral Medicine and Radiology) Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Medicine and Radiology
- M.D.S. (Oral Medicine) Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Medicine
- M.D.S. (Oral Pathology and Microbiology) Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Pathology and Microbiology
- M.D.S. (Oral Pathology) Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Pathology
- M.D.S. (Oral Surgery) Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Surgery
- M.D.S. (Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics) Master of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics
- M.D.S. (Orthodontics) Master of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics
- M.D.S. (Pediatric Dentistry) Master of Dental Surgery in Pediatric Dentistry
- M.D.S. (Pedodontia and Preventive Dentistry) Master of Dental Surgery in Pedodontia and Preventive Dentistry
- M.D.S. (Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry) Master of Dental Surgery in Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
- M.D.S. (Pedodontics) Master of Dental Surgery in Pedodontics
- M.D.S. (Periodontics) Master of Dental Surgery in Periodontics
- M.D.S. (Prosthodontics) Master of Dental Surgery in Prosthodontics
- M.D.S. (Prosthodontics, Crown, and Bridge) Master of Dental Surgery in Prosthodontics, Crown, and Bridge
- M.D.S. (Public Health Dentistry) Master of Dental Surgery in Public Health Dentistry
➥ Doctoral Courses (3 years)
- Ph.D. (Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Ph.D. (Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Ph.D. (Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- Ph.D. (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Ph.D. (Oral Medicine and Radiology) Doctor of Philosophy in Oral Medicine and Radiology
- Ph.D. (Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry) Doctor of Philosophy in Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
- Ph.D. (Periodontics) Doctor of Philosophy in Periodontics
- Ph.D. (Prosthodontic) Doctor of Philosophy in Prosthodontic
- Ph.D. (Public Health Dentistry) Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health Dentistry
➥ Diploma Courses (2 years)
- Diploma Courses in Dentistry
- Diploma in Dental Hygienist
- Diploma in Dental Material & Oral Hygiene
- Diploma in Dental Mechanics
- Diploma in Dental Technician (D.D.T.)
- Diploma in Paramedical / Para Dental Course
➥ Certification Course (1 year)
- Certificate Courses in Dentistry
- Certificate Course in Advanced Implantology
- Certificate Course in Aesthetic Dentistry
- Certificate Course in Basic Implantology
- Certificate Course in Dental and Oral Hygiene
- Certificate Course in Dental Hygienist
- Certificate Course in Dental Mechanic
- Certificate Course in Laser Dentistry
- Certificate Course in Rotary Endodontics
- Certificate in Clinical Dental Technique
- Postgraduate Certificate in Endodontics (PGCE)
Specialized fof Dental Courses in India:
- Orthodontics: It deals with the treatment of irregularities in the teeth and jaws.
- Periodontics: It is the branch of dentistry concerned with the structures surrounding and supporting the teeth
- Operative Dentistry or Endodontics: It is the branch of dentistry concerned with diseases and injuries of the soft tissues inside a tooth (the dental pulp)
- Prosthodontics: It is the branch of dentistry concerned with the design, manufacture, and fitting of artificial replacements for teeth and other parts of the mouth.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: It deals with the jaws and face.
- Pediatric Dentistry: It deals with treating children with mouth problems.
- Oral Pathology: It deals with the diagnosis of diseases that affect the mouth
List of Prestigious Dental Colleges in India:
➥ Some of the reputed colleges offering the dental course are:
- Manipal University
- Goa University
- Sumandeep Vidyapeeth University
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences
- Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University
- Maulana Azad Medical College
- Seth G.S. Medical College
- University of Mumbai
- University of Delhi
➥ The Content of Dentistry Courses
- Practical training
Job Profile After Dental Course:
- Medical Representative / Sales Representative
- Dental Lab Technician / Ceramist
- Dental Assistant
- Private practitioners
- Dental hygienist
- Oral pathologist
- Dental surgeon
- Public health specialists
➥ Some Employment Areas:
- Dental clinics
- Dental equipment manufacturers
- Dental products manufacturers
- Research institutes
- Educational Institutes
- Individual practice
- Pharmaceutical companies
Salary of dental courses:
Dentistry gets a handsome salary package in India as well as Abroad. In government hospitals, new candidates can start their career as a dentist, which they can get a salary of around 60,000 rupees. While in private hospitals, they can start from around 35,000 rupees to 40,000 rupees. Postgraduate candidates can expect to start above Rs 70,000. A dentist can earn nice money through their own practice.