What is BA Hons Course?
B.A Hons. Course: Bachelor of Arts (honours) is an academic degree that is awarded to scholars graduating in the field of Arts. BA Hons is one of the most popularly pursued courses in India. In India, the duration of the BA Hons Course is 3 years divided into 6 semesters. B.A. Hons. gradation develops core skills and knowledge in theory and research in the humanities and history. The main aim of the BA Hons Course is to guide aspirants to become highly-skilled, independent, versatile and to become critical thinkers with a background of research.
BA Hons Course involves a lot of practical expertise as well as interdisciplinary analytical practice. Learners are exposed to a vast range of subjects and research in the field of their choice. BA Hons Course is based on a combination of coursework and a research project in the chosen field by the applicants. Its objective is to produce graduates who will be able to think clearly, flexibly, critically, and be able to weigh up evidence and arguments that can make a rational choice.
BA Hons. Course scope has varied career opportunities with both private and public sectors in a range of careers such as retail management, HR, publishing, market and policy research, career guidance and education psychology.
Why Choose BA Hons Course?
- BA(Hons.) degree serves as a foundation for higher education in this field such as MA, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D. Successful graduates can make themselves eligible for the post of a lecturer in any university/college.
- BA Hons degree is being one of the finest and efficient degrees which is very helpful in attaining specializations in particular subjects.
- After completing a BA Hons Course, one can opt for post-graduation in plenty of distinct fields.
Eligibility Criteria for BA Hons Course:
- The essential eligibility criterion for pursuing BA (Hons.) course is qualifying 10+2 or equivalent examination in any stream from a recognized educational board of the country.
- Some universities and colleges give preference to students who had studied a particular subject in 10+2 in which they want to get admitted for graduation.
- Many colleges/universities also necessitate a minimum of 50-55% marks as a criterion to get admission in BA Hons Course.
- Several universities also conduct their own entrance exam in accordance to take admission of the aspirants on an aggregate of final graduation marks an entrance exam.
BA Hons. Course Admission Procedure:
- Admission mostly opens for the applicants who have chosen Arts as a subject during the 12th standard. Also, every college has a minimum cut-off which may vary. Candidates who fulfill these criteria can only apply. Preference is given to those with a higher score. Universities conduct entrance exams and selection is based on an aggregate of 12th marks and the entrance exam.
- Applicants will need to purchase the application forms from the college office. These forms will be available ordinarily in the month of June and July. They first need to make a payment for application form and prospectus.
- Aspirants make sure to keep a copy of the application form for future reference. They have to bring the following documents with them during the Admission process.
➢ Passport size photograph
➢ Education qualification i.e 10th and 12th board certificates
➢ School Leaving Certificate
➢ Extra-curricular Certificates
➢ Domicile Certificate
➢ Candidates with Certificate of Caste I .s. SC/ST can apply. Even those from the OBC category can apply.
➢ Physical Disability certificate should be sanctioned by the Medical Officer.
Entrance Exam Pattern for Bachelor of Arts (BA Hons Course):
- Entrance Exams usually have Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) whereas some Universities conduct in the form of open-ended questions with a particular time duration.
- The topics for the examination will vary from colleges and the subject is chosen by the applicant. Candidates are advised to have a thorough check into the syllabus for the exam chosen by them.
- Generally, the entrance examination for BA(Hons.) consists of questions from the 12th and general knowledge.
Here is a list of institutions that conduct entrance exams.
- Christ University, Banglore
- Hindu College, Delhi
- Lady Shriram College for Women,
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi
- English and Foreign Language University Entrance Exam (EFLU), Hyderabad
- Delhi University, Delhi
BA Hons Course - Syllabus and Subjects
There is a wide range of subjects in BA(Hons.) which can be pursued by the applicants. These are Anthropology, Archaeology, Education, Economics, English, French, Geography, German, Hindi, History, Library Science, Literature, Mathematics, Philosophy, Political Science, Public Administration, Psychology, Sanskrit and Sociology. A semester- wise break up of the course syllabus is given below.
1 Year: Semester I
- Foundation Course in English-1 and in Hindi-2
- Foundation Course in Science and Technology
- Foundation Course in Hindi
- Foundation Course in Humanities and Social Sciences
- English for Practical Purposes
- Understanding Prose
- Understanding Poetry
2 Year: Semester III
- Foundation Course in Assamese
- Foundation Course in English-1
- Office Organization Management
- Secretarial Practice
- Human Environment
- Modern India, 1857-1964`
- India: Earliest Times to 8th Century A.D.
- India From 8th to 15th Century A.D.
- India From 16th to Mid 18th Century A.D.
- Society and Religion
- Entrepreneurship and Marketing
- Organizing Child Care Services
- Administrative Theory
- Export Procedures and Documentation
- Consumer Studies -ACS-1
- Business Communication and Entrepreneurship
- Nutrition for the Community
- Operations Research
- History of Urdu Language
- History of Urdu Literature
- Urdu Poetry
- Urdu Fiction
- Urdu Non-Fictional Prose
- Elements of Urdu Literature
- Diasprestic Urdu Literature
- Women in Urdu Literature
- Socio-Cultural Forms in Urdu
- Political Ideas and Ideologies
- Government & Politics in India
- Modern Indian Political Thought
- South Asia: Society and Economy
- Government and Politics in East
- International Relations
- Government and Politics in Australia
3 Year: Semester V
- Comparative Government and Politics
- India from Mid 18th to Mid 19th Century
- History of China and Japan 1840-1949
- Modern Europe: Mid 18th to Mid 20th Century
- Elementary Mathematical Methods in Economic Development
- Economic Development: Comparative
- Industrial Development in In
- National Income Accounting
- Fundamentals of Economics
- Indian Economic Development: Issues and Perspectives
- Elementary Statistical Methods and Survey Techniques
- Agricultural Development in India
- Development Administration
- Personnel Administration
- Financial Administration
- Public Policy
- Integrated Pest Management
- Environmental Chemistry
- Statistical techniques
- The teaching of Primary School Mathematics
- Samachar Lekhan our Feature Lekhan
- The Study of Society
- Society in India
- Sociological Thought
- Society and Stratification
- Social Problems in India
- Indian Philosophy: Part I
- Logic: Classical and Symbolic
- Ancient and Medieval Philosophy
- Religions of the World
- Indian Philosophy: Part II
- Modern Western Philosophy
- Contemporary Western Philosophy
- Philosophy of Human Persons
- Philosophy of Science and Cosmology
Renowned colleges offering a BA (Hons.) Course:
- GD Goenka University, Gurugram
- Lady Shri Ram College for Woman, Delhi
- Christ University, Banglore
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Sharda University-School of Languages and Culture, Noida
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi
- Kalindi College, Delhi
- Jaipur National University, Jaipur
- Jawaharlal Nehru College, New Delhi
- Mount Carmel College, Bangalore
Career Prospects after BA Hons Course:
The applicants who believed in certain terms and having the education in this particular field have a bag full of lucrative opportunities to find the career easily in the fields of arts and related organizations. There are numerous industries in which aspirants can work like animation, architecture, design, education, entertainment, fashion, food, material, working, painting, photography, sketch & drawing.
Employment Areas for BA. Hons. Course:
- Finance, Commerce and the Banking Sectors
- Research Associates with Economic Consulting Firms
- Economic Consulting Jobs
- Customs Department
- Import/Export Companies
- Civil Services.
- Agricultural Economics & Econometrics
- Investments Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Marketing Manager
- Corporate Analyst
- Public relation
- Criminal Justice Field
- Primary School Teacher
- Executive Assistant
- HR Manager
- Operations Manager
- Graphic Designer
- Marketing Manager
- Computer Operator
- Customer Service Representative (CSR)
- Public Relation Officer (PRO)
- Policy Analyst
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
- Hindustan Computers Limited (HCL)
- Times of India Group
- UnitedHealth Group
- InterGlobe Technologies
- HDB Financial Services Ltd
- Concentrix Corporation
- Employees / Graduates with a BA(Hons.) degree will get a salary according to the type of job that is offered to them and the skills and knowledge of the aspirants.
- However, an average minimum salary ranging between 3 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs per annum (approx) is offered to graduates.