The Directorate of Education West Bengal Board will conduct the exams for West Bengal Board 9th 2024. Students appearing for the exams from the English or the Bengali medium schools of the West Bengal Board can download the syllabus and start preparing for the exams. The Board of Secondary Education is responsible for conducting the Classes 6th to 9th exams in the State of West Bengal.
The WBBSE prescribes the West Bengal Board 9th syllabus 2024 in the State of West Bengal. For the current year 2024, the syllabus has been reduced and the new syllabus is available on the official website of the authorities.
The syllabus is available in PDF format on the official website and candidates can download it from there. All subjects and the topics that are included in the exams are mentioned in detail in the syllabus and candidates must study thoroughly to score well in the Class 9 exams.
The syllabus for the West Bengal Board of Secondary exams has been reduced and all the students can download the revised syllabus. Along with the West Bengal Board 9th syllabus 2024, students can also download the course books and study materials.
West Bengal Board 9th Syllabus: Highlights
- Name of the Exam: West Bengal Board 9th
- Conducting Authority: West Bengal Board of Secondary Education
- Frequency of the Exam: Thrice a year
- Category: West Bengal Board 9th syllabus 2024
- Availability of the Syllabus: Online
- Subjects of the Exam: First language - Bengali, Second language - English, Mathematics, Science and Environment, Geography and Environment, History and Environment, Health and Physical Education
- Category of the Exam: Summative Assessment & Formative Assessment
Process to Download the West Bengal Board 9th Syllabus 2024:
- Go to the official website of the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education
- Click the Download syllabus link from the homepage
- The syllabus will appear in the PDF format
- Download the syllabus and save it on your computer
- Take a print of the syllabus
Subject Wise WBBSE 9th Syllabus 2024:
Subject - English
- Tales of Bhola Grandpa by Manoj Das
- Autumn Clare by John Clare
- All about a Dog by A G Gardiner
- A Day in the Zoo by Gerald Durell
Summative Assessment-2 (August)
- All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury
- Tom loses a tooth by Mark Twain
- Mild the mist upon the hill by Emily Jane Bronte
- Her first flight by Liam O’Flaherty
Summative Assessment-3 (December)
- The North Ship by Philip Larkin
- A shipwrecked Sailor by Daniel Dafoe
- The price of bananas by Mulk Raj Anand
- Hunting Snake by Judith Wright
Grammar, Vocabulary, Writing items
Subject - Science and Environment
Summative Assessment-1 (April)
- Life and Diversity
- Levels of organization of life
Summative Assessment- 2 (August)
- Physiological processes of life
Summative Assessment-3 (December)
- Biology and Human welfare
- Environment and its resources
Subject - Physical Science and Environment
- Force and Motion
- Atomic Structure
- Mole concept
- Structure and properties
- Acids, bases, and salt
- Work Power and Energy
Summative Assessment-3 (December)
- Separation of Components mixture
Subject - Mathematics
- Real numbers: Concept of whole numbers, natural numbers, integers, rational numbers, and algebraic numbers. Conversion of Rational numbers to decimal numbers, Representing real numbers on the number line. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of real numbers. Concept of axioms on real numbers and solutions of simple practical problems using those axioms.
- Laws of Indices: Concepts of base, index, root, power. Fundamental laws of indices and their applications.Concept of the index as integers, fractions. Equations and identity on indices.
- Coordinate Geometry: Concept of right angular Cartesian plane and Coordinates. Concept of coordinates of a point and represent it on a Cartesian plane. Solutions of linear simultaneous equations on a graph. Concept of one solution, many solutions, and no solutions.
- Coordinate Geometry(Distance Formula): Concept of Formula of Distance between 2 points on a Cartesian plane and its applications.
- Linear simultaneous equations: Solutions of Linear simultaneous equations(Elimination, comparison, substitution, comparison).
- Properties of parallelogram: Concept of quadrilateral, Parallelogram, rectangle, trapezium, rectangle, square, and rhombus. Opposite sides and opposite angles of a parallelogram are equal and each diagonal divides it into 2 congruent triangles. Proof that the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other, Opposite sides of a quadrilateral are equal then the quadrilateral is a parallelogram. Opposite angles of a quadrilateral are equal then the quadrilateral is a parallelogram. If a pair of opposite sides of a quadrilateral are equal and parallel then the quadrilateral is a parallelogram. If the diagonals of a quadrilateral bisect each other then the quadrilateral is a parallelogram.
- Polynomials: Concept of polynomials of one or more variables, the concept of functions of Polynomials, concept of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of polynomials, the concept of zero of polynomials, Remainder theorem, Factor theorem, Concept of zero polynomial.
- Coordinate geometry: Concept of the formula of the distance between 2 points of a Cartesian plane and its applications.
- Linear simultaneous equations: Solutions of Linear simultaneous equations (Elimination, Substitution, cross multiplication, comparison), Solutions of Practical problems of Linear simultaneous equations
- Properties of Parallelogram: Concept of quadrilateral, trapezium, parallelogram, rectangle, square, and rhombus, Opposite sides and opposite angles of a parallelogram are equal and each diagonal divides it into 2 congruent triangles. Diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other. If the opposite angles of a quadrilateral bisect each other then the quadrilateral is a parallelogram. If a pair of opposite sides of a parallelogram are equal and parallel to each other then the quadrilateral is a parallelogram. If the diagonals of a quadrilateral bisect each other then the quadrilateral is a parallelogram.
- Theorems on transversal and midpoint: The line segment joining the midpoints of any two sides. The straight line drawn through the midpoint of the side of a triangle parallel to the second side bisects the third site and the intercept thus obtained from the parallel straight line by two sides of the triangle is half of the second site. If the lengths of the intercepts made by three or more parallel straight lines on a transversal are equal, then the lengths of the intercepts made by them on any other transversal will also be equal- No proof only verification.
- Profit and Loss: Concept and applications of Cost price, selling price, profit, loss, marked price, percentage of profit and loss on selling price, Discount, equivalent discount.
- Statistics: Concept of data tabulation, formation of frequency distribution table, histogram, cumulative frequency, frequency polygon.
- Theorems involving area: Concept of Axiom- Area of a rectangle, Parallelogram on the same base and between the same parallel are equal in area. Parallelograms on equal bases and between the same parallels are equal in area. Area of a parallelogram. If a triangle and a parallelogram are on the same base and between the same parallels, the area of a triangle is half that of the parallelogram. Area of a triangle, Triangles on the same base and between the same parallels are equal in area. Triangles on equal bases and between the same parallels are equal in area.
- Construction: Construction of a parallelogram whose measurement of one angle is given and equal in area to a triangle and its applications.
- Perimeter of triangle and quadrilateral: Determination of the perimeter and the area of a triangle. Determination of perimeter and area of a rectangle, square, trapezium, rhombus, parallelogram and its applications.
- Circumference of circle: Determination of the circumference of the circle. Concept of circumference and the solving of practical problems using the concept of circumference.
- Theorems on Concurrence: The perpendicular bisectors of the sides of a triangle are concurrent. The perpendiculars on the sides of a triangle from its opposite vertices are concurrent. The internal bisectors of the angles of a triangle are concurrent. The medians of a triangle are concurrent. The concept of Centroid and the Centroid divides each median in the ratio of 2:1.
- Area of Circular Region: Concept of the formula of the area of a circular region, the concept of the formula of the area of sector of a circle, and solutions to practical problems
- Coordinate geometry: Concept of the determination of the formula of coordinates of a point when a straight line segment is divided internally or externally in a given ratio.
- Logarithm: Necessity and Definition of Logarithm. Concepts of common logarithm and Natural logarithm.Properties of Logarithm, Application of Common Logarithm.
- Set Theory: Concept of Set theory
- Probability: Concept of probability
Subject - Geography and Environment
- Earth as a Planet
- Movements of the earth
- Resources of India
- Resources of India(map)
- Determination and Location of a place on the Earth’s surface
- Geomorphic processes and Landforms of the earth
- West Bengal- Location, Administrative Divisions, Physical environment
- Major economic activities of West Bengal
- Hazards and Disaster
- Maps and Scale, Map of West Bengal
- Subject- History and Environment
- Some aspects of the French Revolution
- Revolutionary ideas, the Napoleonic Empire, and the idea of Nationalism
- Europe in the 19th Century- Conflict of Monarchical and Nationalist ideas
- Industrial revolution, Colonialism, and Imperialism
- Europe in the 20th Century
Summative Assessment-3 (December)
- The second world war and its aftermath
- League of Nations and United Nations organization
West Bengal Board 9th Exam Pattern 2024:
The West Bengal Board 9th Exam pattern consists of Summative Assessments (SA) and Formative Assessments (FA) that are conducted throughout the year to evaluate the performance of the students.
The subjects for the West Bengal Board 9th 2024 include the following:
- First language - Bengali
- Second language - English
- Science and Environment
- Geography and Environment
- History and Environment
- Health and Physical Education
Significant Facts of West Bengal Board 9th Exam Pattern 2024:
- The Summative and the Formative Assessments will be conducted thrice a year for all the subjects.
- The total marks of the Formative Assessments and the Summative Assessment are 170.
- The Summative Assessments consist of Written tests.
- The Formative Assessments include the evaluation of the students based on parameters like Participation, Cooperation, Question and Experimentation, Interpretation and Application, Creative and Aesthetic application.
- The West Bengal Board of Secondary Education has removed the Pass/Fail system for Classes 6 to 9.
- Students must get at least 25% in the Formative and the Summative Assessments for being promoted to the next standard.
- If a student fails to get the required 25%, he/she will be given 1 month of time to prepare and be evaluated again for being promoted to the next class.
Grading System of the Summative Assessment
- 90%-100% - A+ Grade
- 80%- 89% A Grade
- 70%-79% B+ Grade
- 60%- 69% B Grade
- 45%-59% C+ Grade
- 25%-44% C Grade
- Below 25% D Grade
Grading System of Formative Assessment
- 75%- 100% A Grade
- 50% - 74% B Grade
- 25%-49% C Grade
- Below 25% D Grade
Tabular representation of the marks distribution for the Formative Assessment and the Summative Assessments for the West Bengal Board 9th 2024:
|First Language - Bengali
|Second Language - English
|Science and Environment
|History and Environment
|Health and Physical Education
||Question and Experimentation
||Interpretation and Application
||Empathy and Cooperation
||Creative and Aesthetic Expression
How to prepare for the West Bengal Board 9th syllabus 2024?
Read the entire syllabus properly without leaving out any topic. If you have any doubts about any chapter or topic, discuss it with your teacher to understand the topic better. You must know the contents of the syllabus properly before starting your preparation.
Make a study routine and devote enough time to all the subjects to grasp the concepts well. Focus on all the subjects and not only the topics that you find difficult. Clear all your doubts immediately after studying the chapters and do not leave any topic incomplete.
Study all the topics from the books recommended by the West Bengal Government. Students must complete studying from the West Bengal Board9th 2024 textbooks before moving on to the reference books to get the basic concepts clear on all the subjects.
After completing each topic, revise the topic well with a special focus on the areas that you find difficult. Make notes while revising a chapter as these notes will come in handy before the exams. Learn and revise the formulas and the equations regularly.
Solve sample question papers of previous years as this will help you to manage time well. You will also become familiar with the type of questions asked in the exams and get an idea of the marking pattern for the different sections.
How to perform well in the exams?
- Prepare well for the exam beforehand to prevent last-minute stress.
- Read all the questions carefully before starting to write the answers.
- Divide the time of answers on the basis of the weightage and the difficulty level of the questions.
- Try to answer the questions for which you know the answers thoroughly before moving on to the tricky questions.
- Listen to the exam guidelines provided by the instructor carefully and follow each instruction.
- Remain calm and composed during the exam.