How to Become an Air Hostess: To most people, the sky is the limit but for those who adore aviation, the sky is the home. For people who are in a race to become a pilot, flight attendant, or air traffic controller, then it is recommended to pursue Aviation.
There is much more in this field that meets the eye. Becoming an Air Hostess unlocks doors for exciting career opportunities to the candidates than ever before. Aviation is the underlying driver for tourism which contributes remarkably to the economy of the nation. The aviation industry has taken a boom in the past few decades thanks to globalization.
Details About Becoming An Air Hostess:
Air hostess is one of the highly renowned professions in India for which many young graduates look forward to pursuing because when fears are grounded, dreams take flight. Air hostess service is like a dream come true for young graduate girls.
To become an Air Hostess caters you not only a good pay but you also meet different people from around the world, you get to see different locations, you get a chance to meet stars, business tycoons and also learn a lot. In this article, we will know - "How to become a hostess"
This is a really interesting career choice that could take you all over the world. This is an ideal opportunity for those with a passion to travel and a tireless ability to deliver excellent customer service. Most of the girls choose this career of air hostess but those men who choose the career we call them Stewards.
With the Aviation industry beholding tremendous growth, ‘Air Hostess’ as a profession promises heaps of opportunities and financial prosperity. For this, an Air Hostess requires to carry out a ream of services.
Air Hostess Job Responsibilities:
- Provide excellent customers service during the flight.
- Make air travel comfortable for the passenger.
- Attend elderly passengers at the time of takeoffs and landing.
- Serve drinks, snacks, meals and collect trays, trashes, and glasses before the landing of the plane.
- Guide passengers during their seat settlement
- Directing passengers about all important security measures and procedures
- To sure that all the equipment of the cabin is working properly before the takeoff of the flight.
- Handle some difficult passengers remain patient and calm and many more.
Eligibility Criteria to Become Air Hostess
Eligibility criteria to become an Air Hostess are divided into 4 categories:
- Air Hostess Qualifications:
- The minimum educational qualification required to pursue the course is 10+2 from any recognized board - You can also check - Air Hostess Courses After 12th
- Although there are academies which offer the course for candidates who are just 10th passed, it is better to join the course after your 10+2.
- The Candidate must have a good command of Hindi, English, and any other foreign language.
Age and Marital Status to Become a Air Hostess:
- Age limit varies from Institute to Institute to become an Air Hostess. Generally, airlines prefer to recruit Air Hostesses within the age group of 17 years to 26 years.
- Marital Status also depends upon the policy of a particular Institute. The institutes prefer unmarried girls. But, some institutes allow married women.
- Air Hostess jobs are all about behavior and physical appearance. The Minimum Height of the candidate must be 5.2” or 157 cm.
- The weight of the candidate must be in proportion to their Height.
- The skin complexion should be fair and clear.
- Candidates who are physically fit and attractive can easily start building their career as an Air Hostess.
- So, just like physical standards, medical fitness is also important and crucial.
- A candidate must not have any kind of mental illness.
- The eyesight requirement is 6/9. Few airlines give some concessions.
- The candidate must be fit and not be suffering from any major disease.
Skills Required To Become An Air Hostess:
If you fulfill educational, physical, or medical qualifications then must have certain behavioral skills to do an air hostess job.
- Pleasing Personality: Good appearance, as well as a pleasant voice, are required. You must have friendly behavior with passengers. A friendly outgoing personality is what makes an Air Hostess so greet people nicely.
- Presence of Mind: In case of an emergency landing, an Air Hostess has to use her brain and give all the required instructions to the naive and inexperienced passengers on boards with strong willpower. Air Hostess has to show the great presence of mind in any such eventualities.
- Good Communication Skills: This is the most important thing which an air hostess must hold. You should know how to handle passengers on board. Good command of language and proper speaking skills are required.
- Teamwork: An air hostess/steward should be a team player as they have to work with the entire cabin crew. Usually, a cabin crew in a domestic flight has 12 – 14 members. Therefore they need to work in tandem.
- Work for Long Hours: Flight delays are very normal due to bad weather and hence sometimes you have to put an extra effort and your working hours may extend up to an extra 3 to 4 hours.
- Positive Attitude: Lastly, an air hostess must possess a positive attitude and should be ready to do all assigned jobs.
Air Hostess Recruitment Process:
Each Airline company conducts an examination for recruiting Air Hostesses followed by a Group discussion and Interviews.
- Written Exam: The Written test is based on aptitude and reasoning. The question paper comprises multiple choice objective questions. To crack a written exam you need good preparation as the exam is tough like other competitive examinations.
- Group Discussion (GD): Next stage is a group discussion, in which your presence of mind, communication skills, teamwork, leadership quality, attitude, etc are tested. Therefore, you should be well prepared for the GD round and that needs lots of practice.
- Interview: Third and final round is an interview where your overall personality is judged. If selected in the last round, you get the training for the next six months to become an Air Hostess.
Air Hostess Courses in India:
Passionate aspirants have some choices based on educational qualifications.
Three types of air hostess courses are available:
- Certificate Course
- Diploma Course
- Degree Course
1. Certificate Course: 10+2 passed aspirants are offered the certificate course. Basically, the air hostess training period varies from 6 to 12 months, but few courses are for 3 months only.
List of Certification Courses to Becoming an Air Hostess:
- Air Hostess Management
- Air Hostess Training
- Airlines Hospitality
- Aviation Customer Service
- Aviation Management and Hospitality
- Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant
- Air Ticketing & Tourism
- Airport Ground Management
- Air RT / Radio Flight Officer
- International Air Cargo
2. Diploma Course: Applicants who have cleared 10+2 can pursue a diploma course. But one can join a Post Graduate Diploma after completing graduation.
List of Diploma/PG Diploma Courses:
- Diploma in Air Hostess Training
- Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant Training
- Diploma in Hospitality and Travel Management
3. Degree Course: Degree courses are the most important course out of all three. After completing your HSC, you can join a 3-year air hostess degree course.
List of Degree Courses to Become Air Hostess:
- Bachelor of Hospitality and Travel Management
- Bachelor of Science (Air Hostess Training)
- Bachelor of Science (Aviation)
- Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management
Air Hostess Training Institutes:
Desirous aspirants can join any one of the following institutes for a course:
- Air Hostess Academy, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Delhi, Mumbai
- The Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess, New Delhi, and Mumbai
- Rai University, Ahmedabad.
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Aeronautics, Jaipur
- Universal Aviation Academy, Chennai
Air Hostess Recruitment Companies:
- Air India
- Indian Airlines
- Alliance Air
- Go Air
- Jet Airways
- Gulf Air
- Singapore Airlines
- Jet Airways
Air Hostess Salary Structure:
- The Salary of an Air Hostess depends upon the company she is working for.
- Usually, a company pays between Rs 20,000 to Rs 80,000 to Air Hostesses.
- Domestic airlines pay up to Rs 20,000 to Rs 35,000 and international airlines can pay up to Rs 80,000 depending upon the experience of the applicant.
- There are many luxurious international airliners that pay anything between Rs 100,000 to Rs 200,000 per month.
- There are more benefits to becoming an Air Hostess like- discounts on flight tickets, medical insurance, and retirement benefits.
To be successful as an air hostess it’s important for girls to be a wanderlust, to be very good at customer care, and to be highly sociable and good at carrying out a variety of tasks under time pressure. There are lucrative job opportunities for Air hostesses as they can get chances to work with several reputed airline companies and see their dream come true after completion of the courses.