The basic word to describe content is “Word Play”. Content is basically the use of words to convey something to the reader. This something can be a project, business, idea, and a lot more.
For instance, if someone owns a shopping site, then the owner has to tell the customers about the unique things and specialty of that site to get maximum benefits from the business. Here, content is the main key factor for describing the products available on the site of that person. In short, we can say that Content is the heart of Marketing. now before jumping to direct - How to Become Content Writer, First understand the type of Content
How to Become Content Writer:
Content is of two types - Digital and Offline:
Digital content is the content that is written on websites, blogs, ads, and social media platforms. Offline content incorporates presentations, technical papers, research papers, stories, etc.
Becoming a content writer is not an easy task. Certain important parameters are there to take care of. For good content, there should be a balance between rigorous research, wordplay, professionalism, and the most important thing- vocabulary and grammar. High-quality content is not a cup of tea. It requires acute editing, rewording, and refining to make sure that every single word is on point.
To know How to become a content writer, these points will be helpful. These are the basic things required for a candidate to become a content writer.
Career Requirements for Becoming a Content Writer
English, Journalism, Communications, or creative writing
A certification program is available
Writing samples and portfolio is required
Strong writing, grammar, and research skills
Knowledge in the specific writing field
Social media and web skills are an advantage
Near about Rs 73,090* for the writers and authors
Source: CareerBuilder, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Payscale.com
Skills for Becoming a Successful Content Writer:
There are certain skills for becoming a Successful Content Writer. Candidates have to look after the skill sets that are required to become a good writer in the field of content writing. Have a look:
- Strong research skills
- Good understanding of SEO
- Organizational skills
- Ability to get focussed
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Proper editing
- Deliver quality
- Staying in demand
Courses or Certifications of Content Writing:
- Doing a course in content writing will help the candidates to enhance their writing skills.
- There are a lot of topics on which certain courses are there. Some of them are SEO content, Press Release, Creative writing, Business writing, Editorial writing, Report, and Research Writing, Instructional Design, Ghostwriting, and Copywriting.
Here is a List of Sources from Where Candidates can do Online as well as Offline Courses:
- TBS The Brand Salon, Mumbai
- IIEDM, Mumbai
- Content Knock Out, Bangalore
- Invented, Bangalore
- Digital Academy 360, Bangalore
- Leads Academy, Multiple Locations
- Udemy Content Writing Course (Online)
Scope of Content Writing in India:
Content writers can get hired in big organizations, start-ups, institutions, or even by individuals as full-time or freelance writers. Given here are some of the career opportunities available for a content writer:
- Content Creators/ Developers
- Content Strategists
- SEO Content Writers
- Brand Journalists
- Social Media Specialists
- Curriculum Designer
- Instructional Designers
- Academic Writers or Researchers
- Technical Writers
- Subject Matter Experts
- Video Content Creators
Useful Tips for Aspiring Content Writers:
- Read, read and read
- Improve the networking
- Keep research base strong
- Maintain social media presence
- Expand horizons
- Keep evolving
Highlights for Content Writers:
The content writer aspirants have to do the following things to become successful in their field:
How To Start Content Writing:
To start a career as a content writer, certain points are there to be aware of. Here, a detail of How to start content writing is given. The interested candidates can go through it to become successful content writers:
A lot of Research
- For fresh content and ideas, candidates have to go to the research zone.
- As soon the idea pops up, try to implement it.
- Look after several websites for reference. But the basic idea of the candidate should be their own.
- Start to write the important points which should be unique and creative.
Choose a Unique Writing Style
- Take inspiration from the writers who have their unique styles for writing any content.
- Do not copy their style or the way of writing.
- Try to create your own style.
- The writing style is the identity of any writer.
Focus on a Single Point
- While writing content, try to focus on that particular topic.
- Mixing different ideas in a single content will confuse the reader.
- Do not go for an irrelevant topic. Write content up to the point.
- Candidates can take references from the other writers also. But do not use their views regarding that particular topic.
- Give a makeover to that content.
- Put a unique topic, views, and ideas.
- This makes the blog different from others.
Think for a Unique Title and First Paragraph
- The major part of unique content is making a killer title.
- A unique topic will definitely call the readers to go through the content.
- The first paragraph should be interesting for the readers. This will allow them to read the full content.
Do not Overemphasize Make it Simple
- Some readers are not that capable of reading difficult words or understanding difficult sentences. This will not create traffic to the site.
- To create traffic, the content should be of simple words which can be understood by any of the generations.
- Try not to stretch the content. Let the truth of the topic remain the same.
- Keep the content informational
- In short, keep the content’s paragraph short, sentences neat and words readable.
- Try to avoid any errors in the content. This will make a negative impact on the readers.
- Make the edit in 3 rounds.
- In the first round, eliminate and change the lines that are not in the flow of that content.
- In the second round, check for any spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and punctuation errors.
- The third round is for the final reading. The candidate should read their content first.
Content Writer Job Titles
- Creative Content Writer
- Digital Content Strategist (Freelance)
- Marketing Content Writer
- Web Content Manager
- Content Development Specialist
Duties and Responsibilities of a Content Writer:
For the students who wonder How to Become Content Writers certain points are there which should be clear to become a successful writer. If a candidate wants to become a content writer in a big organization, they should be aware of the responsibilities and duties. For the candidate's knowledge, some are listed below.
- Create content marketing campaigns to engage traffics and make more subscribers.
- Access SEO best practices to create traffic to the site.
- Actively write different content types such as email, social media posts, blogs, articles, and white papers.
- Regularly manage and promote blogs, and articles to the relevant third-party platforms.
- Edit contents that are written by the other members of the team.
- Go through the content marketing metrics and makes changes accordingly.
- Discuss with the other departments of the organization to write innovative content ideas.
The Complete Guide to Getting Started Regular and Freelance Writing:
How to Become Content Writer-Here is the complete guide to getting started with regular and freelance writing. The best part is that if a candidate is doing another course and still they want to do content writing, then they can go for freelancing.
Freelancing is something that anyone can do in their spare time or as part-time. It is basically working from home. So, if a candidate wants to become a content writer, then they can go for regular as well as freelance writing. Both have equal things to do. Now, have a look at the stepwise process of becoming a content writer.
- This is a great way of being in the field of content writing.
- Nowadays, companies are providing their content requirements to independent writers, therefore, it is a better opportunity for the candidates who want to do freelancing.
- Candidates can look for freelancing work on freelancing websites such as Fiverr, Freelancer, WorknHire, Upwork, etc.
- This is for the candidates who are in college or school. They can go for an internship at the organizations that are providing it for a specific time span.
- Or else, candidates can go for share their views on a particular topic in newspapers or magazines.
- Some organizations will offer stipends also during the internship period.
- The very first step in writing that anyone can take at any age is blogging.
- Candidates don’t require any specific degree or qualification for writing their own blogs. Only clear views and writing style is more than enough to write any blog.
- In this way, candidates can make their portfolios and try out the different writing styles.
- Candidates can go for Subject matter experts where added qualifications are required.
- Higher qualifications add a plus point to my writing skills.
- Candidates can work as subject matter experts in a specific organization.
- Candidates can do any certification program to enhance their writing skills.
- The fields in which they can apply are writing, content marketing, and digital marketing.
- The available courses are in blogging, technical writing, electronic rhetoric, SEO (Search engine optimization), CMS (Content management system), Keyword search, WordPress, Social Media Fundamentals, and many more.
- These courses will improve their writing skills and allow the candidates to compete in the professional market.
How to Get Content Writing Jobs
- There are a lot of ways by which candidates can get content writing jobs.
- It is better to reach the company directly. Simply go to the desired company’s website and apply it from there.
- If the ‘Apply Now’ option is not there, take the e-mail id or phone number of Human Resource (HR) of that company and mail your Resume or place an instant call for inquiry regarding job opening for content writer post.
- If any candidate wants to do freelancing, then the same steps are for them also.
- There are various job portals available in India which offers job. Some of them are Naukri, Times job, Indeed, Freshers world, and many more.
Common Niches for Content Writers
Some common niches that most writers can write are given below:
- Product reviews
Top Content Writing Training (Free):
For good content, candidates should watch videos regarding enhancing their content quality at regular intervals. This will not only improve their writing skills but also they will learn new things because your question is not only How to Become a Content Writer but a good content Writer. Given below are some websites that provide professional training free of cost.
- The premium version of Skillshare is not free of cost.
- But there are 14-day trial classes that will help the candidates to learn most of the things.
- The best is that some library has access to Skillshare.
- Not all are paid classes, some courses like blogging, marketing writing, and business writing are completely free.
HubSpot’s Content Marketing Certification Course
- This website offers 21 free courses which take several hours to complete.
- The most common is the content marketing certification course.
- After completing the course, candidates were asked to give a test to become certified.
- This website offers some paid and some unpaid courses.
- It mostly encompasses training in writing, marketing, and SEO.
Top Paid Content Writing Tools:
- The application of tools for content writing is very simple and easy to use.
- This will definitely help beginners as well as experienced to enhance their content.
- This tool will help the candidates to correct their mistakes in terms of grammar, spelling, and sentence structure.
- It is free to check all these mistakes.
- But the premium version of Grammarly is not free as it checks the plagiarism and passive voice of the content.
- Using Google Docs is totally free of cost.
- Some candidates only use docs as their work and this will not charge any money.
- But some candidates have worked on .docx files from Microsoft which is not free. This requires a licensed copy of Microsoft Office.
- If candidates want to create a writer’s website, then it is easy and affordable.
- A WordPress.com page on a domain a candidate is owning is enough to host the writing portfolio, biography, and contact information.
Interview FAQ for Content Writing:
Here are the basic top 8 questions that a candidate has to come across at the time of the interview. These are the technical questions with answers that a candidate must know.
Important Note: Prepare for HR questions as well. This will take your confidence to the other level.
What do you do to research the target audience?
- As a content writer, it is important to identify the target audience and to identify his/her personality, preferences, and needs.
- To do this, take help from the analysts and review the data given by the analyst.
- Take an overview of the Sales and customer service team and try to interact with the customers once in a while.
What do you think are the essential components of good web content
- Usefulness: The content should be relevant to the topic. It encompasses what the reader wants. This is the first thing that engages the audience in that specific content.
- Engagement: The views and the sentence structure should be clear due to which the audience will be engaged in that content.
- Call to action: Some of the content is written for the marketing objective. So the content writer needs to pull the audience.
- Credibility: The source of the content should be original. Any wrong information will harm the organization.
- Originality: Plagiarism will affect the content in a bad manner. So it is important to write original content with errors and plagiarism.
How will you go about creating a content strategy for a client or a brand
- Define the marketing strategy
- Search for the audience
- Explain how the client or brand is recognized by the audience.
- Brainstorm ideas - to create topics, make a keyword list, and many more
- Create a rollout plan
How do decide which topic is suitable to write on
- Go according to the needs and target of the audience
- Search more volume keywords
- Take a look at the conversations on social media
- Take a look at the conversations of the competitors
- Track all the blogs and articles written by the subject matter experts, critics, etc.
How to analyze the performance of the content
- Search engine result page
- Traffic on that page
- Like, share, comments, etc
- Inquiries, leads, sales, etc.
How to promote content
- Sharing the blogs and articles through social media
- Asking the co-workers to share the blogs/articles
- Contacting the influencers & industry colleagues for their opinion on the blog
Difference Between Bolg and Article:
- Articles are traditional & formal types of writing.
- It informs the reader about a subject with the use of facts, events, analysis, and research.
- A blog may or may not have terms of an article and is written in an informal and personal fashion.
- It normally encompasses the opinion of the writer.
How to use SEO in the content
Candidates should have basic knowledge about the Google Algorithm and On-page SEO functions.
- Keyword density
- Meta tags
- Body tags
- Alt tags
- URL Structure
- Internal/External linking
This will help the candidates to grow in the field of content writing. For best career advice, College Disha is the topmost platform. It not only suggests the career goal but also helps to find top colleges in Uttar Pradesh. Do visit College Disha for the finest information about the career.
In addition to that, College Disha provides a 50% scholarship to the students who will apply through the College Disha web portal. To apply for the scholarship, simply follow these suggested steps:
- First, fill in all the details carefully and click on the “Submit” button.
- After submitting all the details, a pop-up menu will appear saying “thank you for applying”.
- College Disha team will contact in a short span of time.
- The expert counselors will then guide the candidate in selecting which college and course are best for the candidate.
- Once a confirmation message arrives from the college, the College Disha scholarship amount will be credited to your account.
- The scholarship amount will be up to 50% of the admission fee.
I hope you got your answer on "How to Become Content Writer"