Design means creating sketches or basic drawings with technical data which is a pictorial representation of the building. While drafting is the graphical representation of building projects used for technical purposes.
The design may refer to the finished product of drafting by the expected result.
Drafting is more like a representation of a design or creating technical drawings that will provide the technical specifications of the project. In this article, we will discuss the Difference Between Design and Drafting.
Difference Between Design and Drafting
In engineering and mostly in the architecture industry, design and drafting are stapled and common words. The design involves the initial phase of the project of any architectural endeavor, whereas, the drafting phase is the process in which the ideas come alive in the form of shapes and structures.
This phase gives birth to drawings and models to make sure that the professionals can fulfill the client's requirements.
The demands of designs and drafts vary from client to client, as some may just need the interior design, whereas some would require detailed architectural drafting that encompasses everything inside the building including its landscape drawings and blueprints.
The role of the design and draft engineers is to conduct the whole process of creating designs to remodel the architectural entity of the client. From building a new building to overhauling the existing architectural project, design and drafting follow a highly organized and sophisticated approach to each project.
Now let's take a look at the process of designing and the intricacies involved in its process and after that, we will delve into drafting.
What is Designing?
- As the above image suggests, the design process is the initial phase of creating drawings that specifically cater to the requirements for the concepts to be in alignment with the expected outcome.
- Basically, to please the client, various elements and methodologies are used in the design process in a standardized manner to achieve the desired result.
- For accomplishing this complex process, the engineers and architects use a variety of computer-aided programs to sketch the initial draft of the architectural drawings. After several meetings and discussions of the client and the engineers, the designers work on the modifications, if suggested by the client.
- Otherwise, if the design gets approved by the client, then the process of finalizing the details of the design takes place.
- In the highly creative process of designing, the engineering or architectural project is broken down or categorized into feasible chunks as it eases out the management process. The design undergoes various amendments and changes depending on the requirements of the project and the client.
- The design engineers or architects are responsible for producing drawings that adhere to the accuracy of the size and shape of the desired model.
- Various elements are involved in the creation of a design plan, these elements are blueprints, engineering drawings, circuit drawings, and business processes. It literally is an act of transforming a hypothetical non-physical idea into an existing architectural project.
- Due to the involvement of a wide variety of aesthetic and functional aspects in the design process, this process is considered to be one of the most palpable aspects of an architect's work.
- Hence, to bring full justice and quality to the design of the model, various engineers and architects collaborate till they complete the project. These are the men behind the design & construction of buildings, bridges, flyovers, etc. Thus, in one line, designers are the people who bring ideas to life on paper.
There is a Design Course that you can pursue.
What is Drafting?
- After the design gets approved by the client after possibly various modifications or amendments, the finalized details of the design are sent to the drafting team.
- Drafting is basically a process in which the precise representations of buildings, statues, bridges, or roads, are created by analyzing the project from various angles such as the top view, main view, and side view of the project.
- These representations are then used as blueprints for constructing the final draft of the architectural drawings.
- The drafter is basically assigned the responsibility of transforming the designs and ideas of the designers into systematic drawings. Basically, the purpose behind this idea is to work on the presentation of the designs that are in the stage of infancy and also ensure that the designs are compliant with the actual requirement or vision of the client.
- So, the responsibility of the drafter is to create an authentic and precise representation of projects for engineers.
- Drafting can be implemented simply using the hand or using sophisticated programs like CAD in 2D or 3D. These computer aides programs allow the drafter to create technical drawings without any hassle and with correctness to detail.
- Further, these architectural drawings are then used as blueprints for constructing engineering plans for various projects like building houses, machinery, appliances, pipelines, buildings, towers, huts, bridges, and much more. To put it in an easier language, drafting is the art that succeeds in the process of design by simplifying the minute intricacies involved in the project, so that the client the easily comprehend the vision of the architect or engineer.
- This is why drafting is considered the subsequent phase of the designing process as it provides the technical specifications of the project at hand.
- Drafting is a highly exhausting process as the drafting professionals need to be skilled enough to deal with minute intricacies and details of the structure. In layman's language, it is the graphical representation of the construction or project which is used as a step that determines how the project shall proceed.
- The draft engineers or drafters utilize the architect's drawings to create a physical model of the construction with high accuracy or precision to ensure that the project is made in alignment with the client's needs. Therefore, creating blueprints, templates, and 3D drawings is a vital part of a good drafter’s skill -set.
After reading about both designing and drafting individually, it will be easy for you to understand the "Difference Between Design and Drafting".
Difference Between Design and Drafting
Although the job responsibilities of drafters and designers often intersect with each other in the area of architecture and engineering, they both have separately defined roles to play in achieving the same goal that they work towards.
Both of them have to meet the expectations of the clients for achieving success and this has to be done by the mentioned deadline.
While drafting is a graphical model of representation of giving a three-dimensional or two-dimensional outlook to the client's requirement, designing is a process that caters to the finished project of drafting catering to the envisioned result.
Drafting deals much more with the technicalities of the project, whereas designing is much more of a creative process. Both of them can be done either by hand or by taking the help of computer-aided programs and mechanical drawings.
If you are reading this line at the moment that means you have already completed the above article, then hope that "which is better Designing or Drafting" or "Drafting vs Design", is clear to you now.