Masters of Hospital Administration (MHA) Course
Masters of Hospital Administration(MHA) is a two years post-graduate course to study after Bachelor of Hospitality Management. which also deals with some exceptional work culture to be nurtured by the professionals pursuing the same. This esteemed course provides a direct link to healthcare facilities. Graduates from Master of Hospital Administration can initiate their careers under the mentorship of some vibrant Industries like Hotels, Aircraft Service Industry, Casino, Cruise ship and more. Aspirants can also be more subjective with some of the renowned hospitals like Apollo and Fortis where the skilled and dynamic knowledge of the individual will be appreciated.
MHA degree is usually offered in part-time, full-time, and executive formats. The degree can be in Medical/Pharmacy/Dental/Technology/Engineering/Agriculture courses or any other professional degree from recognized Indian universities. There are no such entrance exams for admissions. Institutes take students directly on merit basis. The main objective of Masters in Hospital Administration degree is to prepare students for higher-level careers in health systems such as hospitals, top health-consulting businesses and healthcare firms with specialized skills to achieve success in today’s healthcare environment.
What are the skills required to opt Master of Hospital Administration?
The candidates can apply for MHA course if he/she meets one of the following criteria.
- Candidates who cannot make a career in his own field can always opt for this option as it provides job opportunities for everyone.
- The candidate has an interest in the health sector along with a great sense of responsibility.
- Management skills in health administrative field to cater the daily problems is very necessary.
- Good leadership skills to handle issues on a state-wide scale or country-scale.
MHA Course Highlights
Master of Hospital Administration
Duration of course
Subjects corresponding to Post Graduation
Average Fees Incurred
INR 6,000- 60,000 per annum
Average Salary Offered
INR 4.35 L per annum
Similar Options of Study
Master of Healthcare Administration, Master of Hospital Management, Master of Hotel Management etc.
Sectors of employment
Healthcare firms and government or private hospitals.
Masters in Hospital Administration enables doctors and hospitals to serve their patients in a vigorous way. It also improves the quality of patient care, increased nursing productivity, reducing the time spent by staff filling out forms, freeing resources for more critical tasks.
- Aspirants have a Bachelor's degree in any discipline includes Arts/ Science/ Commerce/ MBBS/ BDS/ BHMS/ B.Sc.Pharm, Nursing, Veterinary Sciences, Allied Health Science/ BPT/ BAMS/ Medical/ Dental/ Pharmacy from any University.
- The applicant has to complete his/her (10+2) from a reputed board with at least 50% marks in post-graduation subjects.
- Candidates with Indian citizenship can apply under general category, whereas NRI/Foreign students can apply under the Foreign or NRI category.
Admission Procedure for Masters of Hospitals Administration:-
Master in Hospital Administration course generally begins in September every year, whereas, the admission process commences in April and continues until August every year.
Admissions are usually done on marks scored in the qualifying examination. Only a few universities organize their own entrance exam to get admission for MHA course.
- Selection Process: It is a two-step process. Firstly, the selection of applicants is done on the basis of his/her performance in qualifying Bachelor degree examination. Finally, the candidates are shortlisted on the base performance in the entrance examination.
- Direct Admission: Direct admission usually depends on the merit basis of the candidates, i.e. minimum 50% marks in Bachelor Degree in any subjects.
- Distance mode admission: There are different institutes in India that offer distance mode of education for MHA course that usually starts from the month of May.
Top Colleges perusing for Masters of Hospital Administration:-
- Tata Institute of Social Science(TISS), Mumbai
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- Institute of Management Studies(IMS), Kolkata
- King George’s Medical University(KGMU), Lucknow
- Amity University, Noida
- Sikkim Manipal University(SMU), Sikkim
- Manipal University(MU), Manipal
- Jodhpur National University(JNU), Jodhpur
- Institute of Science & Technology(IST), Chandrakona(West Bengal)
- Christian College, Banglore
Syllabus and Subjects for Masters of Hospital Administration:-
MHA course is divided into 4 semesters having numerous subjects related to medical science.
First- Year (I Semester):
- Hospital Environment and Healthcare
- Medical Terminology and Human Physiology
- Economics of Healthcare
- Organization and Management
- IT for Hospitals
- Quantitative Techniques of Management
- Hospital Residency-I
First-Year (II Semester):
- Marketing of Hospital Services
- Communicative Skills and Report Writing for Hospitals
- Decision Making Accounting
- Commercial Management
- Hospital Residency-II
Second Year (III Semester):
- Supply Chain Management
- Hospital Engineering and Planning
- Information Systems Management in Hospitals
- Patient Care and Behaviour
- Operations Research
- Management of Hospital Operations
- Hospitals Visit
Second Year (IV Semester):
- Control Systems for Hospital Management
- Hospital Quality Management
- Healthcare Insurance
- Legal Matters and Ethical Issues of Hospitals
- Disaster and Risk Management
- Pharmaceutical and Management
- Entrepreneurship and Healthcare Consultancy
Career prospects for Masters in Hospital Administration:-
Both government and private sectors provide healthcare centres, which are offering the foremost healthcare services all over the country. The demand for professionals healthcare administration is increasing enormously.
Master in Hospital Administration Employment Areas:-
- Emergency Medicine Units
- Healthcare Sector
- E-Health Ventures
- Hospital Information Systems
- Lifestyle Clinics
- Pharmaceutical Firms
- Research Educational Institutes
- International and national healthcare organizations
- Health insurance companies
- Public health departments
- Rehabilitation centres
- Healthcare Portals
- Nursing Homes
- Mental Health Facilities
- Pharmaceuticals and Hospital Supply Firms
- Medical Software Companies
- Hospital Consulting Firms
Master of Hospital Administration Job Types:-
- Administration Executive
- Chief Clinical Officer
- Chief Operating Officer
- Clinical Administration Coordinator
- Clinical Nurse Manager
- Hospital Administration Manager
- Marketing Executive
- Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Education Specialist
- Organ Transplant Program Manager
- Patient Administration Specialist
- Quality Management Executive
Mediocre salary could be between Rs. 30,000 to 50,000 per month as Assistant Medical Superintendent, then increases to Rs. 50,000 - 55,000 per month as Deputy Medical Superintendents, and finally Rs. 1 Lac per month to Medical Superintendent.